Loose Invector Chokes

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by maxximus64, Oct 12, 2014.

1. maxximus64

maxximus64 Copper BB

What's up with Browning's invector chokes always coming loose after shooting a couple of rounds? I had one 12ga, two Sweets, and two 20ga Auto-5s and they all come loose. I called Browning Service and they told me to remove all oil and grease from the tube threads which helped. I also bought used online the box end wrench style choke wrenchs so I could put a little more torque on the tubes instead of the universal key style that came with the guns. With all this I'm still having to check the choke tube tightness throughout my shooting. I have a new Ithaca model 37 that has the longer Briley tubes and they never shot loose. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

None of my shotguns are rigged with removable chokes...sorry I can't help ya.
  3. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I have always use external choke tubes in my shotguns so I always give a quick check on the choke tube before I shoot. I shot my Maxus with internal choke tubes for a little while and didn't really notice they were coming loose but it was maybe a hundred rounds or so...
  4. danmac

danmac Copper BB

Mine stay pretty tight most of the time. Sometimes they get loose on a outing. I clean mine
    each time after I shoot and apply a drop of lube on the threads.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the input Dan !!
  6. lead-fouling

lead-fouling .22LR

I've never had a choke come loose from firing actually! I have extended invector plus chokes which allows me to try and tighten them every so often.

I use copper anti-seize lube all over them too so they should be fairly loose!

I think once I had one loose after it saw some 300 rounds in one day.