Slugs in a smoothbore?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by setzer77, Apr 21, 2015.

1. setzer77

setzer77 Copper BB

Just curious, aside from proper friction ring setup, if there are any other considerations when using slugs in a smooth barrel.

Shotgun in question is discussed here http://www.browningowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/grandaddys-browning-16-gauge.4337/

In short, just wondering if I can run slugs in a 16 gauge as sort of a poor man's self-loading big-bore rifle of sorts for nothing more than fun at the range. I'd love an 18.5" or 20" barrel of the same type, but from the searching I've done, that's no easy task.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I'd wipe all of the oil off the magazine. And if you haven't replaced the Bronze Friction Ring, I would consider it. Have fun.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks Rudolph !!
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I should have added that the point is to get the most friction possible to keep the bolt from slamming into the back of the receiver. I only shot slugs once, from a 12 gauge, and got surprisingly tight groups at 50 yards. It was a few years ago but now my shoulder hurts just hearing the word--Slug.
  5. setzer77

setzer77 Copper BB

I don't oil my magazine tube. I wipe it down with an oily rag, then use a dry one. I'm not as learned on the design as some folks here, but I do know a common misconception is to oil that piece (moving parts and all), but to do so undermines the whole purpose of the friction rings. Recoil from shoulder fired weapons has never bothered me. I had a Mosin-Nagant M44, and it was never a big deal. A friend of mine had a Mossberg 835 that we fed 3.5" #2 shot through, and while he found it unpleasant after a few rounds, it never bothered me too much. I guess my confusion is what type of slugs to use, there are so many types, I just don't want to do any type of damage by using improper ammo. Before I even take this thing out for a proper spin, I already planned to get the proper bits from Brownell's for a proper cleaning, and likely to replace the operating spring, recoil spring, and friction rings. Cheap insurance, IMO.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

John Browning himself recommended a few drops of motor oil on the magazine tube. I use a little grease because it stays put. The object is to use as much friction as the gun will cycle with. With target loads I sometimes have to add more oil--my car's dipstick is a good source. Heavy loads require little or none.