New 725 Field 12 Gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by Cyrider, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Cyrider

Cyrider Copper BB

Well, I am new to this site and just wanted to touch base with some fellow Browning owners about a recent purchase I was able to make.

I never thought I would be able to afford a Citori, but after my Mom passed away in November, I decided to use some of the estate money to purchase a 725 Field in her memory. She always encouraged my hunting interests over the years, and I wanted to honor her with something that I would always own and would be a lasting memorial to this great woman. Mom grew up in central Nebraska during the 30's and 40's and told me tales of pheasant hunting parties of friends and relatives around the family farm. I still have the old photos of gentlemen posed with a plethora of ringnecks. Until the last week of her life, Mom was regularly excited when I would visit her and share my pheasant feathers and latest hunting escapades. So Eva, this brand new 725 is for you!

What an absolutely beautiful gun it is as well! The wood grain of the stock and the birds etched into the receiver are each rich, lustrous details accentuating this gun. My 12 gauge is light and shoulders like a dream. Being a lefty shooter, the fairly neutral stock fits me like a glove, and I have no problem getting my head down right over the barrel.

My only question concerning the gun is how the forearm connects to the barrels. It seems to require more pressure than other O/U guns I have, and the release lever does not snap close by itself, but rather needs to be done manually. I have been told that this new "tightness" will diminish a bit with time. I don't feel that the pressure I exert on the forearm is overly forced or anything, but it does seem to require more effort than other guns I have handled. Obviously, you want a nice snug forearm, as opposed to one that's loose or has a sloppy fit. I just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had similar experiences with Browning O/U shotguns. To me, the receiver breaks nicely, with about the same action as my Winchester 101.

Very proud to finally be a new Citori owner!!
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Cyrider !!

Post a picture of your new Citori when you find the time...
  3. birdshooter

birdshooter Copper BB

Congrats on the new 725 Cyrider. Most mass produced guns are that way. Every Browning O/U I've ever bought new was tight initially. The action will be a bit stiff as well and that is done on purpose. With time it will gradually loosen. Make sure you keep the knuckle (hinge pin area) greased and clean everything off and re-grease after every use.

This statement puzzles me some though. Is it possible you are just not closing the gun up firm enough. Once the action has been closed properly, the release lever should come all the way back to it's home position by itself?
  4. Cyrider

Cyrider Copper BB

RE: release lever

Yes, birdshooter, I thought the release lever not closing completely was a bit odd myself. It lacks about a 1/4 inch from snapping shut, and then I just press it down, no problem. Questioning this, I showed the 725 to my gunsmith and he told me that over time the lever would probably close on it's own and he said it was actually good to be that snug. I also called Browning and asked the tech guy there about the forearm, and he basically told me the same thing. Like you, I guess I still feel a bit puzzled by the lever action. Maybe Browning should look at the gun, or I should get another gunsmith's opinion.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Have you gone to where you bought it and asked to see another 725 and then see if it's just as tight...!?

That would put my mind at ease if the same is true of a different 725...if not...swap it out for that one that works for you.
  6. Cyrider

Cyrider Copper BB

I ordered the gun from Minnesota, so until I get to a store, I really can't compare.

I did take the 725 to my other gunsmith in town and he reiterated the findings of gunsmith #1. That the forearm should fit snugly, and that it's very normal for the release lever not to close completely and be snapped down the last 1/4 inch or so. Each of these gunsmiths have been in the business for 40+ years, are very knowledgeable, and have seen a myriad number of firearms. So.....I trust them.

Not only that, but after investigating the Citori forearm/lever fit on other websites, I have found that the "snug to tight" fit is pretty common among other Citori owners that posted. At this point, I feel confident that my Citori assembles as it should.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Ok then...if your satisfied it will work itself in, that works for me too !!

Post a range report when you find the time...
  8. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your shotgun!
    Mine did the same thing too, when it was new. After a quick diagnosis of the symptoms, might I prescribe a daily dose of 7 1/2 shot taken as often as necessary, and continue doseage until the problem is resolved. Just be sure to explain to your wife the reason for the giddy smile on your face when you come back from shooting it, otherwise she may think you are having an affair. ;+)

Seriously, the shotgun will loosen up somewhat as you use it. The more you take it down to clean the firearm, the easier it will get.
    Enjoy!
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Nice prescription Rob !!
  10. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

;+) Thanks Shooter... hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Merry Christmas to you and yours Rob !!