Blr

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Deepgrass, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Deepgrass

Deepgrass Copper BB

I decided this spring I would like a blr in 308. I never thought it would be difficult to find one. I searched two gun shows and saw zero blr's period. Also watched gunbroker to get a feel for pricing,or a deal. Nothing. My father in law said after the last gun show that he knew of a consignment pawn retail shop nearby. Walk in and there she is. A 1979 steel receiver in hunted but cared for shape with a better price than I've seen all spring. Added scope sighted in functions fine shots ok. Just pulled the obscene to me poly coat stocks off . Going to redo the wood. Looks like some nice wood grain hiding under the shine! Wish I could figure out how to post pics. Guess I'll post a before and after when I'm done.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Deepgrass !!

Lookin' forward to the before/after pics...

Free image Hosting / Editing site:

http://www.photobucket.com
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2015
  3. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

There are plenty of BLR 's out there
    Few owners are willing to part with them. I suspect you will also hang tightly on to yours
    rawright likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yes...very true !!
  5. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Sounds like a winner.

I would be interested in seeing the before and after picks of your BLR and to know what method you used to rid yourself of that "poly" finish. :D
  6. Deepgrass

Deepgrass Copper BB

I Ended up using citri-strip. It worked ok ,but that finish was thick, old, and tough. Used a couple of plastic scrapers an to remove finish. It took more elbow grease than I thought it was going to.So anything harder than a plastic scraper may dig in to the wood. As far as the citristrip goes it said I could start removing after waiting 30 min.up to 24hrs. I tried it at a couple of hours and no go. Waited till after work the next day and it was removable. I also waited 48 hrs on one side with no ill affect(life)...
    Have A Happy Easter!
  7. rawright

rawright .22LR

Posting pics is easy, but you have to massage them a bit before you do. Click on Upload a File while you're in the posting/replying frame, then navigate to the location of your picture on your computer and select it. You can post a thumbnail or a full sized picture with this software. Though I haven't posted much here yet, I frequent another site that uses the same forum software, and that's how it works there. There is a size limit, however, and I always have to edit my pics before I post as my camera takes really big pictures. The process I use is to open my picture file in Paint first, then use the Crop tool to select just the important part of the picture. After that, I use the resize tool in Paint to set the largest dimension to no more than 900 pixels, then I save it as a .jpg file. Once processed this way, a picture file will upload to this software nicely, and still have really good resolution for other viewers.

I'm with you, by the way. I hate the new polyurethane finish Browning is using, and much prefer a smooth, oil-finished American Walnut stock. Alas, few are left who know how to properly care for fine wood or leather these days, so such finishes are likely to become the norm. I'd be interested in hearing how you got that nasty, shiny stuff off your gun and restored the natural wood finish. I may be tempted to fix my Brownings, as well!
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

...or you can use this free image hosting site: http://www.photobucket.com

Register...upload any photo(s)...save / edit / resize...download to any site of your choosing.
  9. Deepgrass

Deepgrass Copper BB

Thanks rawright and shooter. Also for posting the article.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

No problem...good article !!