A5 Magnum not ejecting or loading next shell

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by skitter_pop, Dec 2, 2014.

1. skitter_pop

skitter_pop .22LR

I have about a 1962, I think, best as I can tell, Browning A5 Magnum. I am missing the parts I need for 3" shells, but I have it set up for 2-3/4 heavy loads, according to the diagram inside the forearm stock. Barely readable but.. Anyway when I got the gun it had the wrong barrel on it, a shorter barrel that may have belonged to it's sister A5 Lightweight, but I'm not sure. That gun (A5Light) is somehow missing . Before I get off track...I am assuming maybe the reason that it is not cycling is that the loads are not heavy enough to make it work. Nothing happens when I shoot. Shoots, but doesn't transfer..The chamber stays closed. The only other thought is, with that shorter barrel on the gun, maybe somehow it messed up my spring. At the time I got the gun , the short barrel was on there and I had jamming issues. Then figured out it was the wrong barrel. But not before the spring had pushed the barrel about a quarter inch further up into the forearm stock than it should have been. The barrel I have on it now, which I am pretty sure is the original 3" magnum barrel seats fine and doesn't try to go up into the forearm stock. So, is it most likely the "not so heavy" shells? Or something else. The shells I was trying in it were high brass, but maybe reloads, and ooold. They said O buck on them, but I have no way of knowing the powder content.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I would definitely try some "fresh" ammo...and if that didn't cycle the shells properly...I would take it to a gunsmith.

Sounds like it needs some attention...and probably a good cleaning !!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  3. skitter_pop

skitter_pop .22LR

4. txrick55

txrick55 .22LR

I assume it's a 12 ga mag. To shoot 3in or magnum shells you will need both friction rings & both steel rings set up properly.
    Owner's manuals are available for down load at Browning.com. The illustration is much more helpful than trying to explain it here.
    It sounds as though you may want to replace the recoil spring that fits around the magazine tube.
    Purchase a Grace A5 screwdriver set then remove the stock & replace the recoil spring inside the small tube.
    I would also purchase replacement friction rings, steel collars, and steel rings for the friction set up, that way you would know what you have.
    Being it was a used gun, and the barrel was not original, you have no way of knowing what other modifications were made to make the short barrel work.
    Once these are set up correctly they are sweet shooting guns, I am sure the problem is minor, but shooting the gun with any shell with the friction set up incorrectly will only cause more wear than necessary.
    If you can provide photos of the barrel stampings, address, and markings, the inside of the barrel extension, provide the prefix & first three numbers of you serial number on the base of the receiver, this would help in establishing the two are compatible. Any gunsmith you choose must have experience with A5's as most are not very experienced with them.
    If replacing all these parts and the gun still won't eject, then it's time to give Art a call at Art's Gun Shop in Missouri.
  5. skitter_pop

skitter_pop .22LR

Thanks. I went hunting today. Haven't had a chance to do anything yet. I have some new buckshot shells I'm gonna try out tomorrow. If they cycle I'm good. If not , I know of a place now that has a gunsmith and they deal in a lot of older Brownings. I only have one steel ring and one friction ring. I have it set up for heavy 2-3/4. My dad bought the gun new. I really don't know how the short barrel got on there. Figured out it was wrong though and changed to the 30 or 31 inch barrel. Two different gunsmiths told me that was the barrel that was supposed to be on there. No other modifications were made. Dad is 83 just FYI. This gun wont fit horizontally in the gun cabinet with the long barrel on it. Hopefully new high brass will function. If not, I am wondering if compressing the spring with that shorter barrel has done anything to the spring. You are talking about the large spring under the forearm stock right? As far as the steel and friction rings, the gun shop that deals in Brownings has some of them on backorder. How ever the short barrel got on there...I was the one who fired it and had some jams in the cycling of shells when I took it out one time a couple years ago. And I don't think it was used that way, other than that. Really don't know where the short barrel belongs. It is a Browning barrel, and dad did have a A5 Lightweight at one time that he loaned out and is now lost. And there is a buck special barrel missing too. My guess is the buck special, which was for the A5 Magnum got on the A5 Lightweight and the barrel I have is the original A5 Lightweight barrel. Is there any way of knowing that by the serial number on the barrel? Yes, we are talking 12 gauge. Will post after checking it out tomorrow. Thanks for the reply again
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  6. skitter_pop

skitter_pop .22LR

Ok, so brand new Remington OO buckshot will not cycle. Breach stays closed with fired shell still in place. So I guess I'm heading to the gunsmith.
  7. skitter_pop

skitter_pop .22LR

Back from gunsmith.. He said most likely needs a good cleaning. But he has the recoil springs or whatever he needs if need be to fix.He is gonna test fire it first. It has never been completely disassembled, so hopefully cleaning is all it needs. Good cleaning , lubing, etc. Left a Superposed Skeet with him also to disassemble, clean, lube and use de-ruster on. Based on serial # he dated the Auto5 Magnum at 1969. The barrels number was different. The Superposed was a 1967. Hopefully, in a few days, I will have a functioning and clean A5 and a cleaned up Superposed Skeet.
  8. skitter_pop

skitter_pop .22LR

Back from the gunsmith already with the A5. I haven't shot it yet, but he said he was right, in that all was needed was a good disassembly and cleaning. The Superposed is another story. Will post in the new Superposed thread about it :(
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Told ya...!!

Keep us posted skitter_pop...
  10. skitter_pop

skitter_pop .22LR

Well, I finally got the chance to try out my A5 and guess what? Still doing the same thing. Took it back in a couple days ago. Waiting on the call back after he sees what the matter is. Tried about a dozen shells thru it. All but one nothing happened. One tried to eject but got stuck. Arrrg!
  11. skitter_pop

skitter_pop .22LR

Still not working all the time. Ordered the recoil spring and the two friction, three brake, rings today from Browning.....
  12. skitter_pop

skitter_pop .22LR

Well, gun works now. A little oil (per dad's advice) and it actually worked before I used the new parts. Oh well. I have the rings necessary to shoot 3"magnum loads now.
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Glad it's finally working for ya....!!