help with age of shottie

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by tasum, Sep 28, 2014.

1. tasum

tasum Copper BB

Hi there from the uk, new to the forum. Hoping to learn loads. Having trouble dating my newly acquired a5. Uk spec so factory crimped mag tube to restrict it to 2+1. Serial is 6366636, she's a lovely little devil. Looking forward to learning more. Only came with the bronze brake and the steel collar to go round the brake. Do I need the other steel ring? Any good sources for one?

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

tasum likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hi. I think your Auto-5 is from 1963. If it was a US import the serial number would appear as 3M66636 for a standard weight 12 gauge and 3G66636 for a light 12. But World Market guns are different and I believe the first 2 digits are the year of manufacture.

Whether or not you need the steel Friction Ring depends on the loads you shoot. For light loads the ring is stored next to the receiver, flat side toward the recoil spring. For heavy loads it's placed at the bottom of the bronze Friction Piece--bevel up. Note that the flat side is still against the spring.

To minimize battering of the gun, it should be set for heavy loads with a light coat of oil on the magazine tube. Only switching to the light setting if it fails to cycle. For very heavy loads, wipe the mag tube dry.

I believe you can get parts from Midway-UK.

Enjoy your Auto-5.

[​IMG]
    tasum likes this.
  4. tasum

tasum Copper BB

Thank you both for the information. I did have a look at the forum resources, but couldn't find my number.

63 sounds like the right year. Would welcome any links to clarify the issue of the World Market guns.

5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The book on Auto-5 shotguns is: Browning Auto-5 Shotguns, The Belgian FN Production Revised Edition, available here:

http://www.fn-browning.com/Browning Auto-5 Shotguns.htm

It clears up 100 years of misconceptions about the gun--including some that are found on that Browning website. This website is infinitely better:

http://www.nramuseum.com/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf

Guns imported by Browning and World Market guns had concurrent serial numbers until 1953 for the 12 gauge and 1947 for the 16. The 20 gauge was introduced in 1958, after Browning had introduced their new system. Under the contract signed in 1902 between FN and John M. Browning, FN had rights to sell the new Automatic though out the world, excepting the United States. JMB retained those rights. Only about 2500-3000 of the 10,000 guns from the original order were imported to the US. Import duties were high and Browning and FN amended the contract. Guns produced in the US would not be exported and FN would not export to the US. JMB had licensed Remington to make the gun here. That was the Remington Autoloading Gun when production started in 1905 and changed to Model 11 six years later. The agreement expired (along with protectionist tariffs) in 1923 and Browning resumed importing from Belgium.
    tasum likes this.
  6. Doubletap1429

Doubletap1429 Copper BB

Rudolph31,

I have a sweet sixteen s/n 8117x.

According to the NRA site it was manufactured in 1929?
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No! The Sweet Sixteen, a lightened version of the 16 gauge, was introduced in 1936. After WWII the 16 gauge guns got an "X" prefix added to their serial numbers. This was for both the standard and lightened versions and denoted a 2 3/4" chamber. Prior to the war the 16 gauge guns had 2 9/16". X serial numbers run from 1001 (1947) to 99999 (1953).

In 1953 the Sweet and standard 16s got their own prefixes and serial numbers. "S" for Sweets and "R" for standard. Serial numbers ran from 1 to just under 100,000.
    Just to keep things confusing, there was also a short run of "A" and "T" guns.

In 1958 Browning introduced a single digit in front of the letter to denote the year of manufacture. That worked until 1968 when they started using two. The standard weight 16 was dropped after 1963.

After 1976 Browning went to letter codes for the date.

So, for your gun to be a Sweet Sixteen with a serial number in the 81,000 range it must have a prefix.

[​IMG]
    tasum likes this.
  8. tasum

tasum Copper BB

Just ordering some bits from midwayuk. Can only see a bronze friction ring for the 12g magnum, will this be ok for my shottie?

Looking at the schematic my part is P011195 which isn't stocked at midwayuk. They only have P011197 for the magnum.

Is there a different bronze friction ring for the 12g magnum and the 12g light? It looks like there is. Is there anywhere else in the UK where I can source this part?

Incidentally, how can I tell if mine is a magnum version or the light?

Thanks again for any help :)
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Tasum--

If your gun is a magnum the chamber will be marked 12-75 in an oval on the left side of the barrel, just in front of the barrel extension. A Browning would also be marked SHELLS 3", but I'm not sure about World Market guns. In the picture below you can see 12-70 stamped, indicating a 2 3/4" gun.

[​IMG]

The magnums use two small bronze Friction Pieces and three steel Friction Rings. You can see the difference here:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/browning-auto-5-parts/B111119FPB

In your first post you said that you have the Friction Piece and Friction Spring. If so you're only missing the steel Friction Ring, which Midway has for £6.95. I suggest that you also replace your Recoil and Action Springs. And if you can get a new bronze brake, go ahead.

Last, Midwest Gun Works has the Field Service Manual available for free download, here:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5-field-service-manual

Please let me know of your progress.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    SHOOTER13 and tasum like this.
  10. Doubletap1429

Doubletap1429 Copper BB

Thanks for your reply, I had to have my son confirm that it had the "S" which it does.

My dad bought my Sweet Sixteen for me in 1968 as my first gun, I have passed it on to my son.

Talking with Browning today they tell me it was manufactured in 1957.

Thanks again.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Doubletap1429 !!
    tasum likes this.
  12. tasum

tasum Copper BB

Well shot the auto 5 for the first time on Sunday (19/10/14). Just had 3 shells after a round of clays. Setup for light loads, used 28g loads. Very soft shooting. You can feel the barrel reciprocating, but it is a very soft shooting shottie.

Didn't hit any of the 3 clays, but was trying to watch the barrel rather than the clay!!

Very pleased. There was another shooter there with an auto 5 who did very well in the wet. That's 3 of us so far; they'll be an auto 5 day coming soon!!
    :)
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Glad to hear it cycles. I like to watch mine operate too, but I let someone else shoot it when I do. Please keep us updated...
    tasum likes this.
  14. tasum

tasum Copper BB

well, when you're shooting clays you look down either side of the barrel, so that's my excuse. :D Will be shooting a full round this coming Sunday hooray :)
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Let us know how you fare tasum...