1. Dean Nieporte

Dean Nieporte Copper BB

No laughing here, I am a new sa-22 owner, been shooting 6 times now, about 150 - 200 each time. I have watched the youtube cleaning videos and am doing pretty good with all of the cleaning, yep, even had the springs out. All back together well. Shoots great but ONE question that I can not find googling. Where are the key area's to oil? I am guessing at moving parts, I am trying to uses as little as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    Also my barrel moves just a smidge when put back together. Kind of left up or right up. I have adjusted the ring as tight as I can. Thoughts??

Dean
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey dean, you are correct in that you want to lubricate all the moving parts and you can be generous with using the lubricant, it won't do any harm. What type of oil are you using? I would recommend getting some frog lube and use that the next time you clean/oil your 22. In my opinion it holds up better than most oil products I have used. As far as the loose barrel, it shouldn't really have any play in it. Did you notice it prior to disassembling it?
  3. Dean Nieporte

Dean Nieporte Copper BB

BillytheKid
    Thanks for your response. I currently am using Hoppes in the orange bottle. Been a little skimpy with it as I was afraid it may gunk it up. Bought the rifle for my father-in-law in 1978 as a Fther's Day gift. I told him I just went shooting with the guys and my SW 44 mag broke the bank. He told me I should shoot his Browning SA-22 and wanted me to have it as he was not shooting any longer. I am thrilled but sad age is catching up with him. I put a 3 x 9 40 Nikon 22 Scope on and had it mounted at Bass Pro with the Leupold Dual Dovetail Mount. It is awesome. I look as cool as anyone on the range when carrying it.

Before my first round, I had the Range Officer come in and give me instructions on the rifle, been a long time since I shot a rifle. He noticed just a smidge of "turn" He tried tightening the ring, even took barrel off and tightened until the barrel would not go back on. Loosened until it would and tried to tighten.
    When holding the barrel in shooting stance, my left hand can "twist" the barrel left to right maybe a 1/16 or so?? Not bad but I want it right. I may take to a gun smith locally. I had not had the gun apart at that point. I did take it apart and found two springs and two "stops" in the barrel release switch. Both seem to be OK when I put it back together. The ring turns well, seems to be as tight as it will go but just a touch of spin.
    Thanks again, loving the sa-22. I will pick up some frog oil. before next cleaning. I shoot about 200 - 250 round each week. Lucked out and got a bucket of 1400 Remingtons at BassPro for $69.95. I average about one "FTF" about every 5th or 6th load. I usually put 10 in. My shooting partner things it will get better the more rounds that go through it. It is almost "new" shooting wise.
    Shooting every Tuesday night and having a ball.

Thanks Again

Dead-Eye Dean (well not yet, but getting better each week)
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Just oil all the moving parts...including the bolt...and be generous. Work the bolt a few times to work it in and blot away any excess to discourage attracting unburnt powder while shooting. Clean and re-lube after each range session.

Enjoy the new to you SA-22 Dead Eye !!
  5. Larry K

Larry K Copper BB

I am a first time SA 22 owner. In my hand guns I am using grease on rails and other sliding parts (rods in springs, etc) and oil on turning parts. Do any of you use gease and where do you put it. Also exactly which parts do you recommend oiling?
  6. lead-fouling

lead-fouling .22LR

Hey just my two pence.

I'd own soooo many products for gun cleaning and care. The simple fact of the matter is so long as you clean your gun regularly pretty much anything will work. My routine is to use Legia spray oil (Brownings own brand) generously over the entirety of the gun, (it's safe on wood, plastic and all metals according to browning themselves). Leave for a moment or two and wipe off. Remember galling and metal wear is a molecular thing, you don't need to visibly be able to see oil or grease on there for it to lubricate!

Once I've done this I am sure everything has a think film coating of oil what I can see and some of what I can't due to the oils low viscosity and good wetting ability.

I then add motor oil synthetic type to the major wear points, this holds up better under the pressures and temperatures we see in a hot active use of a firearm.

Notice I don't mention grease? Because I don't ever use it.

My dad's Hi power and his AK47 has seen nothing but 3in1 they are decades old without a mark on them.

It is diligent cleaning not fussy lubrication which protects a firearm!

Next time you're down the club or around shooters ask how many of them have had a gun go bad/rusty and ask them what they they'd done to protect. I bet you now one will say oh I was using hoppes and now I'm using breakfree. It'll always be I forgot/neglected to clean my gun after a rainy day. It was in a shed for year et c.

I use oil because it's less messy for me.

YMMV