Broken Stock

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Phil Passmore, Oct 10, 2014.

1. The stock on my new X-Bolt broke last weekend. I am sending the rifle back to Browning. I sure hope they will replace it for me.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

How and where did it break Phil....!?
  3. It broke right at the back of the action. It slipped out of my hand as I was trying to grab the sling to put it on my shoulder. It fell about a foot and landed on the butt pad. I was not very happy when I picked it up and it was in two pieces.
  4. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Sorry to hear about the stock phil. Let us know how it turns out from browning.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yea...keep us in the loop Phil !!
  6. Well it appears that Browning is unwilling to stand behind their product. I will be receiving my gun back from Browning later this week. They felt that the stock was broken due to abuse. They are very willing to replace the stock for a mere $800 but replacing the stock because it is defective is not going to happen. I am unable to express how frustrated/ disappointed I am. I understand that dropping a gun is less than proper care of a firearm but who among us has never dropped a gun? If a stock broke ever time a gun was dropped then there would be far more stock manufacturers out there. So now the hunt for a replacement stock begins. Any ideas?
  7. I had issues with them on how long it take to repair my Citori, so I did it myself. Since then, I have repaired and refinished a lot of stocks for friends as well as my own. here are a few pictures.

IMG_1118 (640x480).jpg

466 (480x640).jpg

IMG_1102 (480x640).jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
    ripjack13 likes this.
  8. Well, I couldn't bear to part with my 325 so I bought a stock from Boyds to replace the useless stick Browning had installed originally on my rifle. Now don't get me wrong I loved how this gun shot. The recoil was nowhere near what I thought it would be and it was adequately accurate. I noticed that the factory Browning stock was bedded so I bought a glass bedding kit to do the same with the new stock. I took it out to shoot it before I bedded it. Holy stinkin' crap what a difference in this gun. The recoil is even further reduced from what I thought was pretty light for a gun of this caliber and it shoots far tighter groups, even without bedding it. I am very impressed.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That's good news Phil !!

Post some photos of the new / improved 325 when you find the time...
  10. What kind of stock was it from Browning. As a supplier of stock material both wood and laminated wood and putting on a numbers of synthetics for owners I am greatly interested. When I was a LT Colonel with the US Military I saw some warehouses filled to the beams with broken stocks. The stocks broke from misuse, dropping, too hot or too cold, to many other reasons, like being driven over was actually very common. Our collective wisdom in the military was that wood laminates were the toughest and shot the best. They were also heavy. I have been by far the happiest with Boyd for replacement stocks either their laminates or the wood, the synthetics from Boyd fit very well, I just like the laminates the best. If you break a Laminate stock, it will take a hell of a fall to make that happened. I also think the laminates shoot the best! I had MOA rifles which I thought could never be improved actually reach astonishing accuracy with the Black Laminate Stocks.
  11. The Browning stock was walnut. The replacement is laminated. I am a huge fan of this laminated stock from Boyd's.
  12. We have had far greater breakage on Walnut stocks than Maple. Also even more on synthetic. But Boyd Laminate? I doubt very much if you will have a single problem with that upgrade? What color Laminate did you get? I had one Rifle I had five Boyd stocks for. I put on the worst for looks and it beautiful. Then I put on the best! Wow! They are great. I hope your Boyd stock fitted with absolutely no modification. That is what I have had every time. Post a photo if you get a chance!
  13. Grey laminate with the stainless barrel and action- it looks awesome and shoots even better!!
  14. Super! My rifles which I could not believe would get more accurate as they were sub minute of an angle got better with the Boyd Black Laminate Stock! The Laminate stock is much tougher too. The thing I really love about that is you can get it with Fler de Lise checkering for about ten extra dollars whereas in a custom ship that adds about $800! Good looking and tough to boot! Phil stay in touch! I’d love to see some photos and at some point I will post some of mine on medium resolution. I have tried the Boyd Black Laminate stocks in both gloss and non gloss. Both are truly beautiful. As a Tiger Maple, American Red Maple is the actual wood, supplier from my Tree Farm it is amazing to see how lovely some of the Black Laminate colors and lines are. The Black Laminate is a thin birch layer laminate. We do some lamination of other woods as well. Accuracy though and the tougher than nails attributes are probably the real benefit. But as the strength and performance shooting getting better, who can not love the results! Good luck Phill!
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  15. I was blown away by how much better this rifle shot with the laminated stock. I will try to upload some pictures here soon.
    ripjack13 likes this.
  16. Sounds great. I had a Ultimate Shadow SS that I wanted to put a Boyd Stock on it. In .243. But the synthetic was the best I had seen by my reckoning. I at one point had FIVE Boyd stocks, all Black Laminate Pararie Hunter with the cheekpiece and Fleur de lies checkering and 13.5 length of pull. But the stock synthetic was shooting extremely well. After several years and finally losing out on a XBolt SS All Weather I dry fitted the worst of these five stocks. I was extremely impressed at how perfectly it fit and how great it balanced and looked. I took off that stock and put the one I liked best on and again the fit was awesome and the look dazzling.

Then I took it to my range. I was not prepared for the results, just a small amount of glass bedding and it was shooting groups so tight it was unreal. Then factor in now it is about the toughest stocked rifle I own. Now I have four set up,that way. One X Bolt, two Model 70 s, one Model 700 should be now mentioned. That rifle started the whole pursuit. It is a .280 Limited Edition Black Laminate Anniversary, that came with a Boyd Stock. It is my half mile rifle with a 24 inch barrel and despite a modest Nikon Silver Scope it is both handsome and shockingly accurate. I have been repeatedly offered a couple of thousand for it. So sure looking for your pictures and it is a great success story. Hard to believe it started with a broken stock. I myself have never broke one. But again a Laminate stock can be tougher than the rest! I also love the look!
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018