A BOLT ACCURACY

Discussion in 'Browning A-Bolt Rifle' started by LIBERTY, Nov 22, 2013.

1. LIBERTY

LIBERTY Copper BB

About 12 years ago I bought a A bolt ll stainless stalker L/H in 30/06 without the Boss device. I mounted a 4X Leupold scope and bore sighted it and went to the range. The ammo I used was federal loss leader with 8 extra rounds and 180 gr bullets. I shot it off the hood of my truck with sandbag rests and at a measured 100 yards. First 5 shot group went 5/8" and only one group out of the rest I shot to use up the ammo to get reloadable brass went to 3/4" This seemed preety darn good to me. I went home and uniformed all the brass and loaded it with my favorite load of IMr4831 and barnes 180 gr bullets loaded to .010" short of the rifling. This load stays between 3/8" and 1/2" for 5 shot groups and I thought that was fine. Its also taken 9 elk and 1 deer. All one shot kills. I have been happy till I started reading about people shooting 1/4" groups with A bolts. Am I just getting anal or is this the new norm for hunting rifles? Nora
  2. Skb2706

Skb2706 Copper BB

I'm new here but I'm not new to gun forums. Most 1/4" "Internet groups" exist in the keyboard and not so much the real world. You have a great shooting rifle
  3. 10ring1

10ring1 Copper BB

No 1/4" groups here and I have shot enough abolts in my day. I do have a 280 stainless stalker with BOSS that will shoot 3/4" routinely with reloads. Kills deer dead!! I do have a 22-250 varmint laminate BBL with Boss that has shot 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yds with reloads. I will shoot 0.5" pretty regularly.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Sean !!
  5. I know this is an oldie thatI am responding two, but both go my AB2's are SubMOA! The 30-06 shoots .5 to .75, the 270 shoots .33 clovers. The 270 is loaded with 130 Speer Seep Curls over 54.2 grs of Hybrid 100 V. Both guns are JB Weld bedded by yours truly in Boyds Stocks.
  6. SOG

SOG .22LR

I have a 300 WSM A bolt with a boss and a BLR in the same caliber. On a rest I can get half inch groups, but when I'm hunting there aren't any rest. All of my shooting is off hand. Both guns have taken Elk, Moose and Deer. All with one shot. You can't ask for much more then that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eagle Rider likes this.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

True enough...!!
  8. Mark Rigsby

Mark Rigsby Copper BB

I know this is an old post, but I have four A-Bolt II LH Stainless stalker rifles and one LH Medallion in .30-06, 7MM Rem, .300WinMag and .375 H&H. All will group 1/2-3/4" with factory loads off a Caldwell lead sled. I will say the .300 doesn't care for Core-Lokt rounds, but the Hornady ELDX will group tight every time. As others have said, talk is cheap, but in the field, I have had no problem punching my tags... Elk, Deer or Antelope.