Airline Travel: Transporting Firearms

Discussion in 'Bags, Gear And Load-Outs' started by LAZY EYED SNIPER, Oct 31, 2011.

1. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Global Moderator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I flew back home to visit the family a couple weeks back and took a couple of my pistols and a rifle for a range day with my Pop. I've had a few conversations with airport security and TSA officials on the S.O.P. for traveling with a firearm and it's actually a LOT simpler than I thought it would be. Just figured I'd share since I had to go through the process...

There are just a few basic requirements outlined in the following from TSA:

Above info cited from: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1666.shtm

Of course before you travel, you should always familiarize yourself with gun carry/transport laws in your destination state. For me, TX recognizes TN handgun carry permits and I've read up on proper transport of rifles according to TX state law so I'm good to go once I hit the ground.
  2. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Here's the travel case for my handguns...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pistol and mags are empty, ammo is in the manufacturer's box, everything is secured in place, and the case locks up nice and tight. Good to go.

I bought mine locally, but here are the specs and info on the pistol case...

Guardforce Classic Model 26C Handgun Gun Case

*Holds one handgun with inside dimensions 12" x 8 1/2" x 4 1/8"
    *Strong aluminum alloy frame with impact resistant side panels and steel reinforced corners
    *Airline approved
    *Pad lock receptacles (padlocks not included)
    *Eggcarton foam interior with velcro tie-down straps
    *Outside dimensions: 12 5/8" x 9" x 4 1/2"
    *Inside dimensions: 12" x 8 1/2" x 4 1/8"
    *Actual weight: 3.31 pounds
    *Shipping weight: 6 pounds

http://www.exploreproducts.com/guardfor ... n-case.htm

It's a nice little case. Great quality compared to a lot of others I've seen out there. I added a 1/2" thick layer of foam that I cut to fit the pistol and other items inside. It'll help hold everything in place during the trip.
  3. LAZY EYED SNIPER

OK, here's the case I used to transport the rifle...

Plano Protector Series Pillar-lock model 1511-01

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Here's the info on the locks I'm using. Purchased both sets in the hardware section of the Kmart right down the street from me. I've seen the same ones at WalMart as well...

Master Lock TSA-Accepted Combination Lock Model# 4688D

[​IMG]

Product Features:

Allows TSA screeners to inspect and relock baggage without damaging the lock
    Unique flexible cable resists abuse from baggage handling equipment
    3 dial, set-your-own combination convenience
    Easy to set & reset
    Matching lock and cable coordinate with popular baggage colors
    Bright colors simply baggage identification
    1-1/8" (29mm) wide durable metal body
    Each package contains one lock

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... ckType=G53

Master Lock TSA-Accepted Mini Fusion Lock Model# 4689T

[​IMG]

Product Features:

Allows TSA screeners to inspect and relock baggage, without damaging the lock
    Keyed alike - same key opens both locks
    Convenient front access keyway
    Bright colors simply baggage identification
    1" (25mm) wide durable metal body
    Each package contains two locks

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... ckType=G54
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the info and links SNIPER !!
  6. LAZY EYED SNIPER

7. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

i have yet to travel with my firearms but the info above definitely gives the info you need to be prepared, thanks for the info Sniper.
  8. LAZY EYED SNIPER

No problem,

It's a lot easier than you'd think.
  9. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

My kids live in California, so I fly there a couple of times each year to visit and give the grandkids a chance to know someone that owns a gun. :mrgreen:

I travel with two pistols when I travel by air - a Gov't 1911 and a smaller carry pistol such as a Kahr K9. Both fit nicely in a Pelican case, secured with matching padlocks. A third gun can fit in the lower section without resorting to a larger case. All mags are loaded - no mags in the guns. Extra ammo is either in the original fiber boxes (factory ammo) or MTM plastic boxes (reloaded ammo).

[​IMG]

My experiences are limited, but perhaps inciteful:

* The TSA folks in Seattle are very friendly, and if they choose to inspect the firearm, they do so in your presence. .
    * The TSA folks in California (Oakland and San Diego) tend to be sullen, arrogant and/or ignorant. They insist on inspected the guns in private without the owner present. I had a TSA agent complain that my 22-caliber conversion slide wasn't locked up. He didn't care (understand) that a slide is not a gun - OK, so use the padlocks that are inside the case with the slide and lock it up. Duh.
    * Leather concealed carry holsters in my carry-on bag haven't bothered the TSA folks running the X-ray machines.
    * Handling a gun does not seem to leave explosive residue on the hands. I've been selected at random to have my hands tested for explosive residue just minutes after handling my CCW gun - tests were negative.
  10. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Good to see your experience has been mostly positive. That's a nice lookin travel set-up. Thanks for sharing...
  11. florizark

florizark Copper BB

KNOW YOUR AIRPORT!!!!!!
    When flying into Bentonville/Fayetteville airport in Arkansas, the large or oversized bags DO NOT fit or are not loaded onto the regular baggage claim carousel, they are hand unloaded into a small kiosk like area out of view from the baggage claim, things like car seats, golf bags, or GUN CASES. You won't notice this until all the bags have been picked up and no gun case. In the mean time, someone else has casually walked out with your bags and no one notices anything. NO it did not happen to me, but I found out the hard way with rising panic for several minutes until locating the bags. ASK your airline rep when checking into the plane or disembarking where oversized bags are claimed. If at all possible when traveling with checked guns (or anything else valuable and easily stolen) try to sit close to the exit so you can get to baggage claim early and stake out a place at the front of the line to keep temptation away from all the honest people in airports.
  12. lrrp75thRngr

lrrp75thRngr Copper BB

Can ammo be in the same hard sided locked case?