How often do you clean your Browning?

Discussion in 'Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Trou' started by Billythekid, May 25, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

How often do most people clean their Browning? I tend to strip it down completely after every outing and clean/oil my Browning... Sometimes i think it is a little too much to strip it down after each time i shoot it but its pretty easy to break it down, so i figure why not.
  2. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

After every time I shoot mine.
    Flipgunner likes this.
  3. Spiros

Spiros Copper BB

After everytime I come back from shooting club or hunting.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I clean all my firearms after returning from the range...
    Flipgunner likes this.
  5. OlympicFox

OlympicFox .410

I shoot a fair amount - around 15K rounds/year. It's pretty common for me to shoot 3-4 different guns on a given day, and my wife might shoot 2-3 herself - which I get to clean. :shock: Oh well, 'tis better to clean her guns for her than to not have her shoot.

My normal MO is to run a bore snake through the gun when we get home from the range. If the gun is blued, it also gets a good wipe down before going back into the safe. After that, it just depends. I always clean & lube my pistols before a match, and I clean my CCW gun about once a month. The rest of them get cleaned on an ad hoc basis.
  6. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Another vote for "Every time I shoot", plus I wipe them down after each time they are handled.
  7. joseph.hernandez

joseph.hernandez Copper BB

I wipe down the barrel and wood stock after every time I take it hunting, but I only clean the internals (including barrel) after hunting season is over.
  8. vahiker83

vahiker83 Copper BB

Through cleaning after any shooting. And I will bore snake and oil exterior metal and wood every so often even if they haven't been used...
  9. rawright

rawright .22LR

Good topic, so I'll re-activate it. I clean all of my guns - Browning and others - after every session at the range. The simple ones I clean thoroughly down to the level of disassembly that requires only basic tools. A deep cleaning, with full disassembly is done about once a year, except for the BLR. I'm afraid to tear it down because of the horror stories I've heard about getting the rack back together properly. I wish I could find a decent video of the process, but I haven't so far. I have AGI Armorer's videos for several of my guns, but they haven't any for Browning long guns... Bummer.:(
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

How are those AGI Armourer's Videos rawwright...!?

Worth the $$ ...?
  11. rawright

rawright .22LR

I like them, though they're a bit dated. The video quality is about VHS, not up to modern DVD standards, but once upon a time we thought that was pretty good!
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The AGI videos are videotapes converted to DVD. I learned quite a lot watching the A5 Armorer's Course. Well worth the money in my opinion.
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks guys...!!
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

rawright likes this.
  15. rawright

rawright .22LR

Thanks, Rudolph31! I think I've seen that before, but it was labelled "pre-'81" and I looked elsewhere. But now that I've opened and read it, I see it covers the '81 version, as well.
  16. Spiros

Spiros Copper BB

Can I use WD40 to clean the trigger system of my maxus before oiling it ?
  17. rawright

rawright .22LR

You can use whatever you like to clean it, and WD40 is probably not a bad choice. It has enough volatiles in it to clean well, yet leaves only a thin film of protective residue. You might find that it is enough lubrication for most parts, but I prefer to use something a little thicker for the rails on a handgun. For most everything else, you're really after some rust protection, and WD40 excels at that.
  18. Spiros

Spiros Copper BB

For the rails I use something thicker also. I'm just talking abut cleaning the sensitive parts of the trigger. After wd40 I sweep the residues and apply something thicker. I just wanted to know wheather wd40 is going to destroy plastic part or not ...
  19. rawright

rawright .22LR

No, WD40 is not going to damage the plastic parts; at least, in my 40+ years of using the product, I haven't seen any damage. You're smart to be careful, but in my experience, you have little to worry about using the WD40 product.
  20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest