Think I need a Twenty

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Aug 27, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

On the hunt for an affordable 20 gauge Auto 5. Do I need a Magnum or just a standard Twenty? Thoughts
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have a light 20. It’s a dream to carry. Does well on skeet field and doves.
    Also have a 20 gold with straight stock. Does very well at anything. Not an A5 but never let’s me down
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Define "affordable".
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

For hunting? I’d get the magnum.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Better make sure it’s made in Belgium, if my memory serves me correct it would come in around 6 1/2 lbs. the jap version is over 8lbs. Might as well carry a 16 or 12. Personally not much of a mag fan. Depends on what your hunting I guess. Don’t really have a need for anything bigger then 2 3/4 shells.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I have no personal experience with the Magnum Twenty, and I don’t even hunt. My recommendation stems from a long argument over on Shotgunworld (in which I didn’t participate) where Randy Wakeman went on for pages about how much more effective the 20 was over the 16 gauge. “It isn’t even close” were his exact words. Finally it became clear that he was talking about the 20 gauge magnum.

So, the Light Twenty, based on the 16, weighs about the same but throws less shot and in an inferior pattern. But target ammo is cheap. You don’t hunt with target ammo, do you? I don’t see the point in hunting with one if you’ve got a 16. In fact, JMB quit working on a 20 gauge version back before WWI because he couldn’t make it lighter than the more effective bore.

I have a Light Twenty, and despite its similar dimensions to my 16’s, I can’t shoot it well. YMMV.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

$1200 or less
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’d probably hunt with it. I’ve killed hundreds of roosters with 2-3/4” shellis in a 20. Most times I roll with 3” though​
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Don’t think I will own any shooter Japan guns. I think they are way too heavy
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Great advice here. Maybe I’ll find another 16 to buy
  11. Ranger6

I have killed many of dove with 7/8 oz. in a 20 gauge. Even grouse. Now if you wanna pheasant gun then 20 not a good choice. The ammo and what you can reload has come a long way from the 60’s. There is much harder shot and you can get way more fps, so don’t know if I would rule out the 20 anymore. Depends on how long the shots would be. #4 of that new tungsten stuff in 1 oz load in a 20 would probably get it done. Lots of info out there on this stuff, might be worth a look see before you decide
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The Fiocchi Golden Pheasant with #5’s are a death sentence for pheasants over a pointed bird
  13. Ranger6

I have some buddies that use those shotgun shells in 28 gauge. They say they work well. Never shot any of the fiocchi.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

They make a great shot shell. Don’t buy there metallic ammo if you want to use their brass for reloading
  15. RPD63

RPD63 Copper BB

I can’t say enough about my light 20. It’s the Japanese version and although I’ve never put it on a scale it’s very light to carry. It’s my go to gun for dove, quail and snipe. I have even used it for woodies on a couple little pot holes I frequently hunt.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

17. Ranger6

Very nice, but ouch on the price.
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yeah, it’s a collector piece. And the price isn’t out of line for that. I think I read in S/V that Superlights had a problem with stocks cracking. Not a gun you’d take hunting.

One nice thing about the auction: the seller knows his stuff! How very rare.