New to me Hi-Power practical.

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by upnorth73, Jun 10, 2015.

1. upnorth73

upnorth73 Copper BB

Just bought my first Hi Power. It is a used but in good condition practical. Where do they sit among the HP models, better than most? Good for beginners? Or (I hope not) are they crap.

Quite excited to get it out and just shoot it....
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Congrats on the new Hi-Power...

How about some pictures...?
  3. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

It's a High Power. Enjoy the heck out of it and buy some more. If you hate it gimme a call and I'll take it. I only have two plus an FEG clone. Need more...
  4. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

All Hi Powers are pretty good guns, even the clones (so I read). I have a practical I bought last summer and it is a beauty! I plan to get a shoulder holster and carry it this winter.

What caliber is yours? Mine is .40.
  5. upnorth73

upnorth73 Copper BB

Mines just a 9mm, but I love it to bits. Bought a target sear and hammer from brownells for it, need to put them in and try it out.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

You're not going to share some pictures with us...!?
  7. upnorth73

upnorth73 Copper BB

I'll get some pics up in the next week :)
  8. [​IMG]

Personally, I would rather own the Practical than any other HP.
    Steve
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Yea...still waiting !!
  10. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

This isn't a thread hijack, just trying to get a pic up.

Update: I've been reading some of Massad Ayoob's books so I may not carry the Practical model I have, as the previous owner removed the magazine safety. That might get a fellow into trouble in court.

I will try to upload a pic here in a second though......

My Practical has had the front sight replaced with a standard sight and I replaced those "signature" grips with basic ones that I like many times more. I received 3 "mouse trap" mags with it and I had bought two at a gun store a few years back, the gun store had them mislabeled!

I finally received my Galco Miami Classic 2 shoulder holster but it hurts my neck and back. I plan to sell it and get an Andrews' Monarch shoulder holster. The Galco does hold both the 1911 and HP equally well even though it was made specific for the 1911 Commander.

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looks good with the Pachmyers...!!
  12. Not made in Belgium but, an Israeli HP just the same. Finished challenged of course.
    [​IMG]
    Recently had Mel Doyle, in Idaho, do his magic on this and looks very good to me.
    Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  13. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Finally ordered the Andrews Monarch shoulder rig. I'll let you know how it works for the HP (I ordered it for a 1911 though). If I really like it, I might get one made for an HP.
  14. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Got the Monarch shoulder holster, it's indeed more comfy on my neck than the Galco.
  15. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Bad news: even the Andrews Leather shoulder holster is annoying.....I seem to have an issue with the left side of my neck.....a pity as that shoulder holster is da bomb! 3 spare mags and a long knife sheath. *Carry of large knives now legal in my state.

I can still carry on my side though......
  16. frogbert

frogbert Copper BB

What do you think of your 40? A lot of people don't like them, to much recoil, bites the web of the hand, to hard to pull back the slide and others. I bought mine new somewhere around '96 and was in the first batch to reach the States. I love it! It took me about a year to get it because I was told that when the guns reach the States it was noticed that the chambering was wrong and they had to be sent back for rechambering. I have won a few local pistol matches with it and cut a card.
    In The Ten Ring likes this.
  17. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I really like my Hi Power .40 Practical. Mag safety removed by original owner and trigger pull is great. Recoil is not bad and I enjoy the harder-hitting .40 round. It does much better at knocking down steel plates than my other HP in 9mm Parabellum. Mine has had the original front sight replaced with a standard HP front sight, which I find to be an improvement. I replaced the "Signature Series" grips with standard plastic grips as I prefer those.

Mine does have a chrome flaw in the frame, appears like a rash of tiny holes in the finish on left side.

I have never had "hammer bite." I guess one advantage of my rather small hands.

The slide is very hard to pull back-----I don't think mine would be a good choice for a combat or duty pistol for that reason alone.
  18. frogbert

frogbert Copper BB

What is a Practical? I have a Mark III. I also did not like the grips so I made replacements from zebra wood and looks rather nice.
  19. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

A Hi Power "Practical" is the two-tone black slide over chrome frame pistol.

I am kinda of a "two tone guy" as I like two-tone colored cars and I prefer women with built-in tans to contrast with my Twilight vampire white skin. :10:

Show us a pic of these grips you made!
  20. frogbert

frogbert Copper BB

Here are the pics of my home made grips.

Attached Files: