1911-380 Compact issues

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Jondav, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Jondav

Jondav Copper BB

Hello,
    I'm new here and am hoping that I am following the appropriate protocol (if not please excuse/correct me).
    I purchased a new 1911-380 Compact from Cabela's 5 weeks ago. It sat in the safe for a week and on my first chance I took it out to try it. My first issue was a feed problem as it jammed several times. I removed one cartridge at a time until it started to feed with 6 rounds in the magazine. Next problem was when I pulled the trigger ... nothing. After several tries I inspected the primer to find not even a scratch, no mark whatsoever. I took the pistol back to Cabela's and they have sent it back to Browning. It has been 4 weeks and no news. I found remedies for the loading issue in your forums, has anyone had problems with a new gun not firing? The firing pin appeared to be fine. This is my first experience with a Browning, I fell in love with it when handling at Cabela's and could not wait to fire it, what a bummer!
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sorry to hear about that problem...

Browning Customer Service is pretty good...they will make it right.
  3. Jondav

Jondav Copper BB

Just thought I would follow up. Still no news on my 1911-.380. I am attempting to be patient.
  4. Ceapea

Ceapea .22LR

I would have called Browning and had them send me a shipping label. I too, once used the big box dealer (Gander Mtn) to send a gun in for repairs. 4 months later, after several inquiries to GM to verify their having shipped it, I found out that they still had it! In the back room of the store. I demanded it back and called the manufacturer. They had it in two days from then. I'm not saying that is what happened in your case, but contacting the manufacturer is always the best route, I have found.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Just one of the reasons Gander Mountain closed...

But...from the ashes of the Gander Mountain bankruptcy, I hear they are re-opening under a new name... Gander Outdoors.

I had one...brand new store...2 years old if that...down the road in Warrington, PA...close up after selling everything but the tile floors.

Bought a nice Heritage Manufacturing Co. SA revolver for $119.00... dual cylinder setup:

[​IMG]

6. Jondav

Jondav Copper BB

7. Jondav

Jondav Copper BB

Hello Forum! Well I got my 1911-380 back from Cabela's 3 weeks ago. Although a bit aggravated after such a long wait I was polite and just wanted to go out and test the pistol. I contacted Browning the week before and they were very efficient in getting the guns status to me. After putting 24 rounds through the 1911 I experienced several loading jams and thought "not again". I cleared the gun and had no more issues with another 50 rounds. I purchased some .380 snap caps and have been cycling the gun, the more I work it the smoother it has become. In all honesty I really want to like this pistol. It fits the hand almost like a full size 1911 and finds the target instinctively. Recoil is minimal and retargeting becomes a natural flow of function. I have read some issues with trigger pressure but I have no complaints. I will run another 250 rounds and if no issues I think I just might get a Pro-Compact w/rail.
    SHOOTER13 and Ceapea like this.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds like a plan...good luck !!
  9. Ceapea

Ceapea .22LR

I am planning on using mine in a PPC league. Sixty rounds, on two targets. From 7 yd to 50 ft, and 5 different positions. Should be fun!