New A-5 Problem

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by yellowlab247, Feb 24, 2013.

1. lou fava

lou fava .410

I read your posts regarding the issues you had with your A5. I have to assume the new A5 Browning sent you didn't operate any better than the A5 your purchased originally?
  2. Correct. I had the same problem with the new A5 sent; sent it back with refund request, which Browning honored with no question. Good service.
  3. lou fava

lou fava .410

Literally got of the phone with Browning customer service 10 minutes ago so far everyone there has been very nice to deal with. I'm filling out the service repair form now & think I may go shoot the gun this week & take pictures of whats going on & enclose them with the gun. Ill give Browning the chance to repair but if I end up in the same boat as you I'm am also going to request a full refund
  4. Yep, that's what I would do. I hope I had a couple lemons and the rest of the A5's out there are OK. I still have 3 of the older A5 12 ga. shotguns and love them.
  5. lou fava

lou fava .410

I really wasn’t in the market for a new shotgun but one night after bow hunting me & a couple friends oh & Mr Budwieser where hanging out one of my friends mentioned he looked at a new A5 and loved the balance and the way it threw up to his shoulder, long story short the next day I went and looked at one and a week later all four of us bought guns. None of the other guys have experienced any issues yet but they’ve hardly shot their guns. Of course after I got the gun a started coming across reviews & forum posts about the cycling issues, but most were from 2012-13 I just figured Browning got the problem figured out by now, apparently not

One other issue I had with the gun was I could only get the Browning full choke tube to thread in the barrel, both modified & IC would thread in about ¾ the way and stop. I measured the roundness of all three tubes with digital measuring calipers and found the modified & IC to be out of round. I called Browning they sent me out two new tubes at no charge and problem was fixed so no big just goes to show you they don’t make anything like they used to
  6. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Just returned from the range; shot two boxes of 1 1/8 oz - no cycle problems. When loading three shells, the latch wouldn't hold back the shell and one shell would slip under the flipper on it's own. I usually load the chamber first and the second and third into the magazine. Not sure if this is operator error or the gun. Don't have this issue with two other browning guns, A5 and Gold, flipping shells out. I really don't care for the auto load feature - into the magazine first.
  7. lou fava

lou fava .410

The auto load feature is neat although really don't see the need for it myself, I imagine it serves it's purpose for other guys. Something else that I don't particularly care for is the the location of the bolt locking mechanism in front of the trigger guard especially if the gun is used hunting in thicker brush. My buddy while making a deer drive accidentally hit the button on some thick under brush which pulled a shell from the magazine tube and left it stuck under the carrier latch assembly (flapper) the gun shot the chambered shell but the shell under the carrier latch assembly couldn't be cycled into the chamber from that location
  8. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

I agree with the latch mechanism - kind of a pain ! I found the latch that is supposed to hold the shells in the magazine fails and I end up with a shell under the flapper. I inspected the barrel after two boxes and no powder residue...wonder where it goes?

This gun has the same kick as my old (1942) A5...not a very soft shooter, although I'm used to my 20 ga.
  9. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

too many "features" to monkey-with...and to go wrong!
  10. lou fava

lou fava .410

You’re absolutely right about that!!! They just try to modernize everything, in the end this is a hunting gun!!! Make it light as possible, balance it so it shoulders sweet, and most importantly make it shoot right….all the other crap is just fluff
  11. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

12. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

One really needs to push the shell way into the mag. in order to have it stay- put.. Wonder if this feed system is faulty - the catch not holding the shell back causing another shell to slip under the flipper? I have two other Browning guns; will compare the shell stop with the other two and advise...
  13. lou fava

lou fava .410

I always push the shells pretty far into the magazine tube, it's just a habit it picked up over the years. Have yet to notice any failure with the mechanism on my gun but as I previously mentioned a friend of mine randomly noticed a shell slipped from the magazine tube and was laying under the carrier latch (flipper) this was while he was deer hunting our initial assumption was he accidentally hit shell release button in front of the trigger guard. Looks like he needs to verify if it was operator error or if he has the same issue as you with a faulty mechanism
  14. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Just compared all three guns regards the "shell stop." The new gun doesn't employ the same system as the other two guns. The shell in the old A5 and Bng. Gold both have the shell stopped by a protruding lever that is the top part of the slide assy. They have omitted this in the new gun and apparently stop the shell in another way (which may be the problem). I never had a shell get under the flipper and not cycle.

Huge breaking-indroctination with this gun!
  15. lou fava

lou fava .410

Just wanted to give a quick update, I sent my A-5 Hunter back to Browning to have the cycling issues diagnosed & hopefully (yet to be seen) corrected two weeks ago.

The good news is the gun is already on the way back to me. I can’t complain about the turn around considering I was initially told it was normally 6 to 8 weeks. Kind of makes me wonder if Browning is aware of the issue & already has a fix.

Hopefully within the next week I’ll have some time to cycle everything from 3.5” 00 buck to #8 2-3/4” through the gun once I do I’ll post my results…till then keeping my fingers crossed
  16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looking forward to your report...
  17. Todd

Todd Copper BB

Thanks for accepting me in the group.
    I have a new A5 12 gauge that was purchased in September 2015. After filling the magazine with 2 3/4" or 3" and even 3 1/2" when the shell release button is pressed often times the shell will not enter the chamber.
    It's not a cleaning problem. It's been taken apart many times. The shell release lever does not pass by the incoming shell.
    Finally after 3 years the gun has been sent back to Browning for repair.
    I'll keep you posted on the results
  18. DJDAWG

DJDAWG .22LR

Mine has no problems now and is my fav. shotgun
  19. Nic

Nic Copper BB

If anyone is interested....I think I know what the problem is. It is the cartridge stop in the receiver that the barrel controls in and out. sometimes the barrel doesn't fully move the cartridge stop out of the way fully therefor not loading the next.
  20. Todd

Todd Copper BB

Actually the problem we are having is with the new model A5. Mine has been returned and is proforming perfectly