New A-5 Problem

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by yellowlab247, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Ben likes this.
  2. Ben

Ben Copper BB

Any help with the switching of the safety?
    Thanks
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don't have any experience with the new A5 beyond breaking 2 clays with one. But if it's like the Auto-5, you'll need to buy a left hand safety. If the details aren't in the manual, call Browning.
  4. After second time reshipping it back to Browning, I asked for a new A5 and was immediately (3 weeks) sent one. This one seems to cycle fine and the problem with easily cycling from the magazine to the chamber with the latch in front of the trigger seems to be corrected. Killed a deer this weekend with 3" 00 magnum buckshot and all cycled and ejected properly. Will keep you posted if more trouble, but do not expect any at this time.
    SHOOTER13 and Rudolph31 like this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good to know...
  6. Well, it's December 22, 2016 and I have just returned from MD goose hunting with my second new Browning A5. It was horrible! Shooting 3" Black Cloud BB's, the A5 jammed after the 3rd shot and again after the 20th shot. Couldn't even get through a box of shells. Second time through this mess and I will not go go through another. Called Browning Service today but they are on vacation 'till Tues. after Xmas so I will call then and ask for a FULL REFUND OF CABELA'S PRICE. I do hope they will help me for I now realize that the new A5 really isn't "my Daddy's A5" which I have and has never jammed. There is a major design flaw, I believe, in this new A5- two new ones and they both had the same problem. Having recently killed a buck on the second shot, I had hoped all was well. ALL IS NOT. I HAVE LOST FAITH IN THE NEW A5.
  7. Tom Miles

Tom Miles Copper BB

Today while goose hunting I experienced the very same problem. The cutoff button does not engage Single shot auto..not real happy
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Tom !!

Enjoy our community...
  9. ncquackchaser

ncquackchaser Copper BB

Having similar issues with my A5. Its the 3" version. Bought it new at Cabelas and it wouldn't cycle light loads right out of the box. After reading all the posts about factory grease, etc I cleaned it good, oiled it, and tried different shells. No luck. Cycles 3" duck loads fine. So I took it to Cabelas and told them about the issue. They sent it to their repair center. They acknowledged it wouldn't cycle and they couldn't fix it so they sent it back to Browning factory. After 9 weeks I get it back with a sheet that shows how to lube the action. I was pissed. It was right before Christmas and my guess is some manager knew they were way behind on repairs so the told the techs to get things out the door.

So I take it home . Oil it again. The next day jams 6 times in a row. So I go back to Cabelas and tell them I want to trade or replace it. They wont do either. Tell me my problem is a warranty problem and I have to deal with Browning directly. I asked the guy for a copy of the notes from the Browning repair and he says I cant have them "its an FFA form'. So I asked him to just make a copy for me so I can refer to them when I talk to Browning. Nope. So now I guess I have to deal with Browning and my $1400 boat paddle. Never buy a gun from Cabelas again.
  10. Sent browning Stalker back to Browning yesterday with request for a $1200+ refund of Cabela's sale price to me. Hopefully, they will honor my request as precedence has been set on refunds in the past. Right or wrong, I bought a new Winchester SX 3 from Cabela's. All reviews have been good, but only holds 3 rounds of 3" with plug and 4 w/o. Hope you have good luck with Browning. They've been pretty good to work with for me. I still have 3 older A5's and a Citori. Had to use Citori as backup in MD last week!
  11. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

January, 2017 and I'm considering a new A5 Stalker. Judging from the various issues that have been raised...not sure this is a prudent purchase. I currently own a vintage 1942 A 5 and have had very few problems with this gun. I like the new load features, but it seems like there are several glitches with the new Auto 5.

Would like to hear from current users of the A5 and their experiences.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  12. Have had two A5 Stalkers in the last 18 months. First one would not cycle properly and jammed often. Sent it back twice for repairs but it did the same. Was sent a new A5 and took it to MD goose hunting in 12-16. 3rd shot jammed and 21st shot did not cycle and jammed. Sent A5 back 2 weeks ago and requested a refund of purchase price. Browning indicated today that a refund would be processed. Have since bought a Winchester SX3, also made by FN, as is Browning so we'll see how this gas operated auto does.
    PS: Have 3 older A5's which never jammed or mis cycled. This new Stalker A5 "is not your Daddy's gun". Believe me!1
  13. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Your experience with Browning is not too encouraging. If I buy this gun I will , necessarily, need to alter the rear stock - shorten it as much as possible. This due to a disability I have in my right arm. Also, I would need to install a grip behind the trigger guard and one at the rear of the forend. I am unable to reach the safety and trigger without the rear handle/post. I have altered two of my existing guns and they work well, although my gun mount isn't what it used to be!
    Altering a gun and finding it doesn't work as intended makes one very leery.
  14. lou fava

lou fava .410

First off would like to say this is a great site you guys have going here just wish I found it under better circumstances as it seems I am another unlucky new A5 owner dealing with cycling issues.

September 2016 I purchased a brand new A5 Hunter 3.5” magnum 28” barrel. My main intentions were to use this gun for deer hunting, but having the ability to run anything from low brass 2-3/4 shells all the way up to 3.5” buckshot I already knew I was going to take it on pheasant & turkey hunting hunts.

About two weeks after getting the gun I patterned with Winchester Super X 3.5” 00 buckshot, and couldn’t be happier with the results.

December 2016 buck week came along & my first day hunting with the gun I took buck at 30 yards one shot, shell ejected, new shell cycled into the chamber gun performed flawlessly. Once buck week was finished I thoroughly cleaned the gun, cased it & put in my gun safe.

February 2017 took the gun pheasant hunt I had a box of Winchester Super X high brass #5 and a box of Browning BXD Upland high brass #5 and this is where the cycling issues started.

Throughout the hunt there were times the gun would fire & cycle with no issues, but there were also times the first shot would fire and the ejecting shell would get caught in the chamber I think this is sometimes referred to as “stove pipe” as the brass would be caught in the closing chamber & the open end of the spent shell would be sticking out. I did notice it happened more with the Browning shells versus the Winchester shells.

Once hunt was over I again thoroughly cleaned the gun and although I was starting to have my doubts in the guns performance I wasn’t ready to throw in the towel just yet I kept telling myself “maybe the gun just needs to be shot more” as it still had no more than 40-50 rounds through it.

The following week went on another pheasant hunt and took the A5 used the same high brass #5 Winchester & Browning shells. Once again had the cycling issues, but they were minimal maybe 3-4 times during the hunt, still too many but it was helping my feel more confident in my “the gun needs to be shot more” theory.

That brings us to this past weekend I took the gun to a tower shoot figuring I’d have the opportunity to really puts the gun through its paces . Once I shot the gun I knew it was going to be a long day, my $1500 semi-auto A5 was nothing more than an overpriced single shot. I went through 2 boxes of shells (50 rounds) and the gun jammed almost every time I pulled the trigger. First it started with the “stove pipe” issues, then eventually turned into firing the gun & the spent shell staying stuck inside the barrel & the cycling shell obviously would then jam inside the chamber. I think I have pretty good patience, but how I didn’t wrap the gun around a tree is still beyond me.

So today March 6, 2017 I will place a call to Browning customer service & see how they stand behind their 5 year 100,000 shot warranty. I’ll keep you fellas posted.
  15. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

16. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Lou: Sorry to hear about your problems with the A5; I recently bought one and returning to the range today to shoot 1-1/8 oz. through the gun. I've modified the stock and continue to have problems keeping the rear grip fastened to the stock. I don't seem to have issues with cycling, but will report if I do.

Looking forward to hearing about Browning's answer to your complaint...
  17. lou fava

lou fava .410

Hi jONNY - hopefully everything gets figured out. What worries me most is anytime I've ever heard of anyone having to send a new gun back to manufacturer for issues regardless of the brand the gun never performs that way it should even after its been serviced, once a lemon always a lemon. I bought the gun at the same time 3 of my buddies bought theirs & they are not having any issues as of yet although any of them have even come close to putting the gun through the paces
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Stove Pipe problems in handguns is usually associated with a "limp wrist" hold. The wrist absorbs the recoil needed to cycle the gun. I wouldn't be surprised if holding a recoil operated shotgun tighter to the shoulder would likewise clear up this problem.
  19. lou fava

lou fava .410

I've tried holding the gun as tight to my shoulder as possible and still had issues. I have early 1980"s Franchi AL48 3" mag that has the old school spring recoil set up so I'm used to shooting guns that need to be tight to the shoulder
  20. I'm sorry that you've had trouble. I sent mine back two times for repair and Browning sent me a brand new one. All had trouble ejecting shells and cycling. I since asked browning for a refund of the Cabela's price and they promptly sent it to me. I bought a new Winchester SX3, also made by FN and am happy with it.