Optics For My Buck Mark

Discussion in 'Browning Mark Handgun' started by AzShooter, Mar 14, 2016.

1. AzShooter

AzShooter Copper BB

I'm looking for a Red Dot for my Buck Mark pistol. I've looked at the Bushnell TRS-25 and the TruGlo 8030DB. I'd like to hear from other members that have Red Dots. What do you have and why ? Thanks, Jim
  2. gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot Copper BB

I have a Bushnell TRS-25, highly recommend. It is heavy duty. The heads up type might give better field of view but in cheap versions they are not as reliable I understand. I refuse to pay more for optics than the gun. However I love the TRS-25, got good deal on it, about $65, 3 years ago. I think you can get them for $85 today.

Then I got a BSA Edge 2-7x32 scope with upt to 21" eye relief. I had a real cheap Tasco with short eye relief, it was terrible, yet I paid $25 for a used one with used rings at a gun show. I sold it on ebay. The BSA was only $70. What a great value, compare to scopes costing $350. Finding good scopes for pistols is a challenge, especially for under $200. The other bargain priced pistol scopes I was looking at were made by Simmons ($110) and Bushnell ($160), which have similar ability as the BSA. Not sure how much you can trust reviews on amazon; all the scopes rated well, but the BSA was void of some negative issues on the others, and it was much cheaper. I bought some $7 scope rings on eBay and never looked back.

You can save a few bucks on a pistol sight and in a smaller package, with a single power x2 or x3 scope. They will fit on a smaller rail. If you don't have a long rail a scope might not fit. I have a Valqaurtsen rail on the Buckmark. The other brand is Tactical Solutions. Ruger is nice enough to tap and supply a rail.

I love this BSA scope. I have only been able to shoot it out about 60' at indoor range. I live in the city. I can say on a bench rest I can make a group the size of a half dollar, with quite a few in the same hole. My bench rest is a MTM plastic deal, not heavy at all. I got some gun rest bags I filled with course aquarium sand. I have yet to use. I am sure my consistency and grouping at 30 yards will be great. I can't wait to take it outside and shoot 100 yards. The BSA does not have "mil dots" for elevation to account for bullet drop.

Red Dot is way more practical and useful than a scope in many ways. It is small, light, cost less, and it works great indoors. Outdoor at least with the TRS-25 you can the dot bright enough with settings from 0 to 10. Ten is so bright it blinds in inside. Some Red Dots (or green) are not bright outside, at least the ones in the under $85 range . The Red Dot has far faster target acquisition and less subject to parallax. In three years I am still on same battery. Of course I use care to turn it off. It does not have auto off. I recommend the TRS-25. There are some YouTube videos comparing different versions of TRS-25's... They changed the design, but basically they are identical for all intents and purposes. NcStar and other no-name China "value priced" optics on the market might be OK. However on a 22LR pistol China made dot sight might last, but try and put them on a 357 magnum, not so reliable. The TRS-25 is a no brainer. Very heavy duty. However it is easy to jump into $400-$1000 Leupold or EOTech gear. Then there is the insane mil spec Meprolight, Aimpoint, ELCAN gear....

If you fancy shooting at distance, scope of course. I can shoot freehand with a scope, but at a point, especially higher power at distance we are talking bench rest.. As you can see it is quite a sight... both literally and figuratively. Again eye relief is a big dot deal. If you want to shoot the gun with it at arm length, you can't use a rifle scope. With most scopes you have your face 3-4 inches from the scope, just out of slide smacking you in the face distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    AzShooter likes this.
  3. AzShooter

AzShooter Copper BB

Thanks for the great reply to my post. The information you posted is very helpful. I've read that the newer TRS-25 red dots are not near as good as the ones you have. Apparently Bushnell changed the design. I've been looking at a Primary Arms red dot that is similar to the Bushnell. It has very good reviews. Thanks again this forum is like a ghost town. Not to many responses.
  4. gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot Copper BB

Yep rimfirecentral is more active.